Story County, Iowa Name Index to Local Histories
Search Local Histories Name Index
Nearly all Story County communities published local history books or newspaper articles, often to celebrate the community, county or state centennial or sesquicentennial. Most of these histories contained a section on local family histories contributed by a family member. This is an index of those family surnames taken from some of the books. For some books the given names are included in the index and for others only the surname is indexed. Some entries also include the pages numbers. Names in parentheses are the married name of women.
Lookups are available for these books & articles. When requesting a lookup, please have some reason to think that the family has a connection to the community and give the lookup volunteer enough information to determine if the family might be a connection you are looking for. This is to make the volunteer's time as productive as possible.
Thanks go to Bob Allen for indexing the Maxwell book, and to Tamara Parrott for indexing the Nevada Evening Journal Centennial Edition, and to Loa Andersen for the comprehensive index of the History of Story County by Payne. The following books & articles have been indexed to date:
- "Colo, A Place to Call Home, 1865-1996, Iowa Sesquicentennial" by Colo History Book Committee printed 1996 by The Ogden Report, Ogden, Iowa.
- "Maxwell Iowa 1883-1983 by the Maxwell Community Historical Society for the Maxwell Centennial Committee published about 1983.
- "McCallsburg Centennial 1869-1969" compiled and edited by Mrs. James R. Dillin and published June 1969 by the Centennial Historical Committee.
- "A History of Roland, Iowa 1870-1970" published 1970 by the Roland Record.
- "I Remember Slater, Iowa 1889-1989" by Slater Centennial Historical Committee printed 1989 by Graphic Publishing Company, Inc., Lake Mills, Iowa.
- "Story City Golden Jubilee Book, An Album of Pictures from Early Days Down to the Present" published June, 1931 by Paul A. Olson.
- Story County, Iowa "Centennial Edition", Volume 59 Number 64 published 15 Jun 1953 by Nevada Evening Journal (now Nevada Journal), Nevada, Iowa. Contains articles about most of the county communities.
- "History of Story County Iowa " A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement Volume II by W.O.Payne - 1911 by The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago
- "Community History Zearing, Iowa 1854 to 1956" by Donald H. Grimm printed 1956 by Greenwood Printing Company, Ames, Iowa.
Please E-Mail Mark Christian with your
questions, comments, or suggestions.
Story Co. Home Page